Welcome from new Assistant Director, Marie Nour Nakhle

Hello, FYW Community!

I am thrilled to be taking on the position of First-Year Writing Assistant Director for the next two years, and I’m looking forward to working closely with all the members of our wonderful community. 

I want to start by giving a big thank you to Luisana. I have to admit, I am slightly nervous about being her successor; she left some very big shoes to fill, but I hope I can contribute to this position as much as she did! I am excited to be working with Mckenzie, who’s not only a great friend of mine and one of the most solid support systems I’ve had here at UConn, but she’s also a colleague whose work ethic I deeply admire. I am equally excited to be working with Lisa, Tom, Oliver, Margie, and all the regional directors who do amazing work behind the scenes to make this program what it is! 

A little bit about me: I am an international student from Lebanon, hence the picture of me with shawarma and the shawarma “m’allem,” which was taken during my last visit home. I love talking about Lebanese food and making it for people to try! I am currently a third-year Ph.D. student in the English department, about to enter my fourth year. My research lies at the intersection of Romanticism and literary theory, and I’m also very passionate about the teaching of writing and helping students discover meaning in their higher education journey beyond career preparation through writing. 

I don’t have a pet I can bring over to the office for some pet therapy time, but I always make sure I have a good supply of snacks, so please don’t hesitate to stop by and say hi! 

Marie Nour Nakhle